Thursday, April 23, 2009

Not another shameless self promotion

Every since we had to write stories to go along with pictures in my 5th grade reading class, I’ve enjoyed writing. Actually, my passion for creative writing probably began when I read my first book, Curious George Goes to the Hospital. My enjoyment for writing continued as I would write book reports for Mrs. Wagner’s sixth grade class as well as Mrs. Maness’s eighth grade class. Somewhere along the way, though, I lost focus and my passion for writing.

With the growth of the internet in the mid-90s, I began writing a column for a wrestling news site that I created. The premise was pretty simple. I stole news from other sites and added my own spin on them. After about a year, I grew tired of it and abandoned it. I was amazed at how many e-mails I received from people in different parts of the world asking me not to discontinue the site. I briefly developed a rogue news site, The Extreme Newsletter, to appeal to legitimate news seekers. To gain readership, I printed several hundred copies and placed them in a local newspaper’s dispensing machine. When readers of the newspaper opened their local paper, they had a free copy of The Extreme Newsletter. I don’t think the editor liked it much as a notice was posted inside the next week’s edition that this kind of conduct was unlawful.

I continued to read mystery novels, stories of interest, historical fiction and nonfiction, etc. (not to mention the occasional Hardy Boys book and other adolescent favorites), but had pretty much abandoned any ideas of writing. That is until I entered the Bethel Success program where all I did was write. After completing the Success program, I rediscovered my passion.

I still did not give writing an actual book much thought until I became totally disgusted with my employment at the time. I had always told my youngest daughter that I could write a book about her antics. After thinking of some of her exploits (as well as mine when I was a youngster), I sat down at my old desktop and began writing.

Using the Beacon Handbook for grammar and punctuation usage (Success students should remember the Beacon Handbook), I wrote, edited, and published Introducing Serina K., Ph.D. and Future Famous Person in 2006. The book did modestly well considering I did absolutely nothing to promote it. It is still available at Amazon, booksamillion.com, and Barnes and Noble’s web site. I will finish my MBA in June 2009. As soon as I am finished, work will begin on the follow-up to Introducing Serina K.

The following is a recent review: “The Hardy Boys. Nancy Drew. Ramona the Pest. Characters like these are missing in today's selection of books for elementary school children. The lack of imaginative literature marketed for children contributes to the growing illiteracy rate. Introducing Serina K., Ph.D. and Future Famous Person is a breath of fresh air. It captures the innocence that most books that are currently aimed at the 9-12 age groups are missing. It simply details the misadventures of a young 3rd grade girl and her friend as they attempt to raise money for a trip to the local carnival. It’s a hilarious romp that will have you laughing the entire way through the book.”





No comments:

Post a Comment